21 Useful Things I Learned From F.R.I.E.N.D.S
The TV series that I grew up with has shaped my humor. And it is still giving me comfort in hard times.
Whenever I feel low, I revisit Friends. I’ve seen it all, over and over, yet I still find it fresh and refreshing. Maybe it’s the certainty of having a laugh. And depression needs certainties as crutches. Or maybe it’s about going back to much simpler times. Either way, it does its job well.
But this right here isn’t about laughter. It’s about precious takeaways that I’ve assimilated after all these reruns. It even has seeds of personal growth, if you will.
- Other people have overly controlling mothers too. And they manage to deal with that.
- Competitive and a perfectionist? Heading straight to burn-out unless you chill down.
- Losing weight is easier if you have a strong motivation.
- Demanding parents might turn you into a people-pleaser. And that’s so energy-draining…
- Having an “embarrassing” job is better than no job at all.
- Giving up privilege and starting all over from scratch can be very rewarding.
- Fear of confrontation makes people seem nicer than they really are. They are, in fact, pushovers.
- Life-changing moments can add depth to otherwise shallow people.
- Allowing yourself to be a little crazy is fun and healthy.
- Principles define you as a person.
- If you are kind and altruistic, good things will happen to you.
- Sarcasm is a coping mechanism.
- A sense of humor makes you more likable, as long as you don’t overdo it.
- If you hate your job, quit. Changing careers pays off, even if you have to start low.
- Growing up in a broken home can lead to commitment issues.
- Compared to other fields of work, making it as an artist is extremely difficult.
- Success comes with hard work and experience. And several failures.
- Being socially awkward doesn’t necessarily affect your love life. Especially if you have intelligence and kindness as counterweights.
- Arrogance and jealousy will eventually backfire.
- Insecurities are easy to develop and hard to get rid of.
- Anger management issues are treatable.
Having friends you can always rely on is priceless.